Michigan Agricultural Commodities was honored with the 2018 Outstanding Green Agri-Business Award as part of the Green Agri-Business Awards hosted by the Michigan Agri-Business Association at its annual conference and trade show in January.
MAC is Michigan’s largest grain handler with seven elevators, nearly 43 million bushels of storage and about 100 employees. The company was among the 109 Michigan businesses recognized as part of the Green Awards program.
“Michigan Agricultural Commodities has emerged as a leader in sustainable agriculture practices, from investments in energy-efficiency programs to reduce electricity usage to intensive soil testing and recycling,” said Jim Byrum, president of MABA. “We are pleased to award MAC with the Outstanding Green Agri-Business Award and applaud them for their commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship.”
The application components for the Green Agri-Business Award program include an evaluation of agronomic practices, water quality and conservation measures, energy efficiency, facilities improvement, transportation, recycling, and the use of advanced site-specific agriculture technology and beyond.
A few examples of the sustainability practices embraced by MAC include:
- Partnering with Consumers Energy to install a heat reclaim system for MAC’s Breckenridge facility that is anticipated to reduce energy bills by up to 30%.
- Promoting agronomic best practices and site-specific agriculture techniques, including intensive soil sampling and variable rate application.
- Properly recycling seed and fertilizer totes and pesticide containers.
- Utilizing start motors and variable controls on equipment to reduce energy use.
- Investing in power factor controls at the Breckenridge and Middleton facilities to lower electricity use.
- Partnering with local first responders to ensure preparedness and maintain safety across the entire organization.
Now in its eighth year, the MABA Green Awards recognize Michigan businesses for excellence in sustainability measures and a demonstrated commitment to environmental responsibility. More information is available at www.miagbiz.org.